British Values Statement
Wellington Eagles Primary Academy endeavours to actively promote British Values through a rich and diverse curriculum. We define those values as:
- The rule of law
- Individual liberty
- Mutual Respect
- Tolerance of those of different faiths and beliefs.
‘Actively promoting’ means: challenging pupils, staff or parents expressing opinions contrary to fundamental British Values, including ‘extremist’ views and equally, any views that engender racist or discrimination towards others.
Wellington Eagles Primary Academy uses the National Curriculum and our ‘Golden Eagle’ enrichment programme to ensure that all children secure and embed the core British Values. We offer a broad and balanced curriculum that teaches elements of democracy, civic responsibility, rules and laws, the monarchy, equality, values and virtues, environmental awareness and understanding of other faiths. This also includes support for parents, carers and staff. To ensure such values are permeated through school life, each term has a British Values focus, which drives curriculum events and trips.
The examples that follow provide some of the many ways in which Wellington Eagles Primary Academy seeks to promote British Values:
- We have an elected school council
- The children elect house captains
- Pupil voice and pupil survey
- This is also explored through our PHSE, History, Philosophy and Religious Education curriculum
The rule of law
- Positive behaviour policy which encourages tolerance and mutual respect, including self mediation and restorative justice
- Pupils are taught the rules and expectations of the school
- Students are taught the value and the reasons behind laws that govern and protect us, the responsibilities that this involves and the consequences when laws are broken
- Visits from authorities such as the Police and Fire Service reinforce this message
- Resilience is a core principal of our school ethos and values
- Golden Eagle - Enrichment, including ‘Debate Club’
- Pupils are actively encouraged to make independent choices, with the knowledge that they are in a safe, secure and supportive environment
- Staff at WEPA educate and provide boundaries for students to make informed choices, through a safe environment and an empowering education.
- Students are encouraged to know, understand and exercise their rights and personal freedoms and are advised on how to exercise these safely, for example through e-safety and PHSE
- There is an anti-bullying culture
- We have developed a robust Behaviour for Learning Policy
- Respect is a core principal of our school ethos and values
- Respect Ambassadors who act as role models for respectful behaviour and provide a mediation service for other pupils.
- Helping Hands initiative
Tolerance of those of different faiths and beliefs
- E-safety education, including educating children about the risks of extremist propaganda.
- Visits to different places of worship
- Visitors from other faiths
- Wellington Eagles Primary Academy works closely alongside its partner schools in the MAT to provide children with unique links, including students from other continents and cultures (WCIT and WCIS)
- Students are actively encouraged to share their faith and beliefs within the school and celebrate festivities throughout the calendar year